Matthew's Pictures

September 14, 2009

Lighthouse

Last weekend, Abbie went to a water park with her cousin, so I had the opportunity to spend some special time with Raleigh. We went to a town near New Smyrna Beach and met up with my brother who lives near there. Our first stop was at Ponce Inlet Lighthouse, which is the second tallest in the U.S. 202 steps up and 202 back down. Raleigh was a trooper and didn't complain once! I on the other hand, was getting claustrophobic on the way up and had to stop for a break. The view at the top, however, was amazing and well worth the climb.

There were several buildings surrounding the lighthouse that were built in the 1800s with memorabilia and all sorts of historical artifacts. I love history, so it was right up my alley!

We next stopped at a marine science center where they rescue injured sea turtles and birds. And what's a trip to New Smyrna Beach without going to the beach? I couldn't believe how much nicer the beach was there than the one where I live. What a difference an hour makes! It was absolutely wonderful and the water was so shallow and clean looking. I didn't have to worry about a drop off like we have at our beach. Raleigh could run out into the water and the water level never rose above his knees. Beautiful...










1 comment:

Santino's family said...

I love the pictures you took. Your son looks very happy to be spending time with you.